Vision 2040 is proud to be one of the sponsors of the Spicer Beautification Project. The Spicer Beautification Committee has sponsored several art projects over the past 10 years: “Poles Gone Wild”, “Chairs Gone Wild”, “Fish Gone Wild” and the most recent “Artists Gone Wild”.
Fifteen local artists from the Spicer and greater surrounding area had the opportunity and platform to display their work within the Pirrotta Park in Spicer, Minnesota. The “Artists Gone Wild” event increased participation for the Music in the Park event while promoting the local parks and the city of Spicer.
After the event in Spicer, art projects are on at an auction. In the past, projects were sold at a public auction at the Glacial Ridge Winery. This year the items were auctioned on Sunday August 11 during the final Music in the Park featuring songwriter and singer Jeff James during a silent auction.
Art gives the imagination free-reign, allowing one to experience the surrounding world in different ways and then record how they feel about it without relying on words. When art is integrated into the social fabric of a community; it provides a way for people to share emotionally, interact socially, and develop a sense of belonging. Further, art can provide a vital lifeline to human interaction for those whose special needs make other means of communication difficult.
Meet the Project Stakeholders
- Kandiyohi County artists
- Attendees at Spicer Music in the Park concert series,
- Residents of Kandiyohi County
- Spicer Beautification Committee
- Willmar Area Arts Council
- City of Spicer
- Visitors and tourists to Spicer and Kandiyohi County
- Business communities of Spicer and Kandiyohi County
- Willmar Area Arts Council contacted and identified local artists
- Mike Lint and Dick Bruckner, volunteer craftsman, helped create the boards for the project
- CAT (Create Art Together), a local New London / Spicer art group, provided some of the artists for the project.
- Lions Club provided food at the event as a fundraiser
- Spicer Commercial Club promoted the event on their website.
PROJECT CHALLENGES & SUCCESS
Funding for the project was used to pay artists participating in the project, pay for project materials, and for promoting the project to the public. This aided in the overall project success and met Vision 2040 goals of inclusion and engagement.
Because art and art appreciation transcends any specific language, religion, culture, ability or economic status, the project met the Vision 2040 goals of inclusion and engagement. The Spicer Beautification Committee along with the Willmar Area Arts Council, encouraged multicultural artists to submit their work. 15 local artists received exposure for their original art and a platform to sell their work. All art was sold.
The Beautification Project is something that occurs each year at the Pirrotta Park in Spicer, Minnesota. This year the addition of the Vision 2040 funds provided access to the project for all artists no matter the limitations.
Additional benefits to the project that aids in the continuation annually:
- Makes a profit to be shared with local artists
- Promotes the beauty and use of Pirrotta Park
- Promotes the city of Spicer and Kandiyohi County to tourists and visitors by providing a fun and interesting event.
- Provides a platform to help Vision 2040 meet communication, inclusion, and engagement objectives
Do you have a fun idea for a project with Vision 2040? Check out the funding page and the mentors pages to get started. We look forward to working with you in helping make the Willmar Lakes Area a better place today and tomorrow.
Willmar Lakes Area Vision 2040 is a grassroots movement in Kandiyohi County to make our communities better than they were yesterday. Our mission is to support the dreamers and the doers in Kandiyohi County. We strive to create a better tomorrow through supporting projects that are community minded with special emphasis on the four focus areas; Health & Wellness, Communication, Inclusion and Engagement.
Vision 2040 is a collaborative, community-led and driven initiative composed of your neighbors, friends and coworkers.