Plants do amazing things, they over come resistance of growth through dirt, perhaps even a crack in the sidewalk. They may struggle to thrive in dry climates, but are still able to grow. This is a perfect way to describe being resilient, growing and thriving even in difficult situations. Being are silient person takes effort and intention.
Get One & Give One!
Keep one planting kit for yourself to grow and be inspired by the resilient strength of the plants and GIVE one kit to someone else as a Random Act of Kindness!
- 4 Pots
- Seeds (4 types included)
- 4 Marking Sticks
- Watering Can/Water (not included)
- Ruler/Tape Measure (not included)
Directions: Growing the Plants
Step 1: Plant Your Seeds
- Fill your cups all the way to the top with soil.
- Poke a few small holes in the soil with your finger and drop 1 seed in each hole.
- You won't need all the seeds! Save extras for next year or plant more than one plant.
- Lettuce is the only seed to plant all of your seeds in your container. As closely as you can, plant one seed every inch.
- Carefully cover the seeds with soil.
- Using a marking stick, label your pots so you know which seeds are in whicn pots.
Step 2: Water & Watch Them Grow
- Carefully water seeds just enough to keep the soil moist throughout the growing period.
- Set pots in a sunny spot (windowsills work great!)
- Track their progress
- Planting Date
- Emergence Date (date you see the plant above soil)
- Transplant to a bigger container (coffee can, 5 gallon bucket, etc.) when plants are 6" tall.
- Do not transplant lettuce. Harvest (cut) lettuce when lettuce is between 6"-10" and it will regrow 3-4 times!
- High in antioxidants, which may help prevent heart disease and cancer
- Can aid in heart health by lowering LDL, total cholesterol and triglycerides
- Great for your skin and imunity because of large amounts of vitamins A, C & E
- May help reduce the risk of lung cancer
Pico de Gallo
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
Time needed: 20 minutes
- Combine finely chopped tomatoes, onions, lime juice and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add desired amounts of jalapeno and cilantro, starting with lesser amounts and adding more to taste.
- Serve with eggs, tacos or other Southwestern dishes.