Develop the skills to build inclusive communities
Our advanced leadership training program focuses on preparing the next generation of leaders to answer the call to serve the communities of the Willmar Lakes Area. Vision 2040 Leadership, under the direction of Program Director Jennifer Lindquist, brings together a diverse group of participants from around the Willmar Lakes Area and Kandiyohi County to develop the skills to build inclusive communities that are prepared for the future.
Hear From Our Community Volunteers
"I think this program gave me a great skill set in order to set up my leadership style. In addition to that, it gave me the self-confidence that I needed to succeed. This is such a supportive program and after completing it, I really feel that I can do anything."
Class of 2020
"I made connections with community members and found many common visions. I have begun to get more active in the community due to the connections."
Class of 2016
"I am excited to make a difference and feel confident to do so!"
Class of 2015
The purpose of Vision 2040 Leadership is to prepare individuals from diverse segments of the Willmar Lakes Area to serve as leaders who will strengthen our communities. Vision 2040 Leadership is designed to educate and motivate citizens for community leadership and volunteer service. Participants are selected on the basis of ability, leadership potential, and demonstrated interest in the community.
Participation in the program represents a significant commitment of time and dedication. The sessions will typically be held during the day on the second Thursday of the month from September to April. Applications are now closed for this year's cohort. Please check back summer of 2022 to apply for next year's cohort.
Applicants are expected to serve and strengthen the area upon completion of the program. Although some employers may have an internal selection process, submitting an application does not guarantee a position in the Vision 2040 Leadership Class.
The Selection Committee may be unable to place all eligible candidates, even if these applicants have demonstrated excellent credentials. These applicants are encouraged to re-apply for future programs.
Assignments outside of class sessions may be required. If selected as a participant, applicants will be expected to attend all sessions and complete program assignments.
Applicants shall certify that the information provided on the application is true and complete, and agree that falsified information or significant omissions may disqualify a candidate from further consideration by the Selection Committee. Such behavior may be considered justification for dismissal from the program if discovered after admittance.
- Participants will be chosen by the Selection Committee based on application materials submitted by program candidates.
- The Selection Committee strives to recruit candidates from a representative cross-section of the Willmar Lakes Area, Kandiyohi County.
- Participants must have motivation, interest, and a commitment to serve the community.
- Individuals living or working in the Willmar Lakes Area, Kandiyohi County, are eligible to participate. A maximum of 30 candidates will be selected to participate in the Vision 2040 Leadership Class of 2022.
- Participants are expected to attend all the sessions and activities associated with them in various communities throughout the Willmar Lakes Area. The sessions will typically be held during the day on the second Thursday of the month from September to April.
- Applicants should present evidence of past or current community involvement and demonstrate a willingness to commit themselves to active volunteer involvement in the community.
- Program Candidates must demonstrate an ability to achieve personal goals and have time available to dedicate to community service as well as a personal commitment to the Willmar Lakes Area.